Thursday, November 28, 2013

Was it because of the dog?

My biggest complaint has been about the disaster of the school's car line.  I've felt justified in my anger.  If the Christian radio personality signs off each day with a "blessing "for parents going to pick up their children, then millions of others are suffering each day with a form of self-induced whiplash.  Push the pedal to the floor now, just to hit the brakes seconds later, to maintain my position in line.  Its got the same jerking motion as when we tried to teach my son to drive a stick shift.

Tuesday I got an early Christmas present from a man in a silver sedan with a schnauzer hanging out of the back window.  It didn't seem like a gift at first.  He cut line, forgoeing the slalom course of dotted lines, so he would be in next in line.  Instead of getting right on his bumper and risk the chance of dog drool on my car I tried everything I could to think rationally.  Maybe the dog needed to go to the bathroom, or be at the vets, or as usual I just got cut off.

When the race became serious, and we were no longer fighting for inches but instead full car lengths, the man in the sedan waved for me to go in front of him!  He knew he cut me off and cared! (Yes, I know it wasn't about me but more likely the safety of his dog.)

Regardless in my fourteen years of driving, this was the first time that someone did the right thing.  I was so happy that I out-talked my kids when they got in the car!  When the kids finally understood what had happened, the kids came up with a simple, logical explanation.  It was because of the dog!


No comments: